Tuesday, September 20, 2011

ToD: Houston.. we have a problem

Ok, so I knoooow how I was going on and on about how much i was gonna LOVE this book "Song of Solomon", but I'm reeeeally NOT liking it. I mean don't get me wrong.. i LOVE detail descriptions, but she gives DETAILED DESCRIPTIONS! OMG! I'm like... JUST SAY IT ALREADY GOD!! I felt like I was sitting there waiting for something to happen, longer than Maxine Kumin did waiting for Anne Sexton to answer the phone... sorry very mean joke (God forgive me lol) but still... soooo i think I'm gonna try to 1. Stick it out & just finish the book 2. Find Beloved and read it or 3. Look thru some other poems or short stories or videos or SOMETHING and come back to it later.. I don't know but... Ill keep you guys posted each step of the way lol

                                                                          ~Dré <3

4 comments:

  1. Dre, I had a hard time muddling through _Song of Solomon_, too. I remember it getting better after the first... several chapters. It's up to you to decide what step to take next, but let me know if you want to chat more about anything. And the Kumin/Sexton joke was a *little* twisty, but very smart. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it sounds just like one of the book I had read during high school. Our teacher would make us read a really detailed book. I always end up skimming through the book after reading the first few pages. I mean come on, how much can you write about the way a character can eat. I might sound like a hypocrite because sometimes I would write like that, but mine tend to be over dramatic. I like to write descriptively, but reading it is another matter. Hope it will get better. Maybe you can watch the film before reading the book, if there is one. Good luck
    -Lei Yang

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA! Yea that joke was iffy, but I'm trying my best. There's some interestingly described oarts but I'll finish it.... I'm really interested in reading beloed now though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha the joke was definitely witty if anything. And I know what you mean about details and descriptions and constant long grueling words that are not necessary for every.single.sentence. It's great to feel like your being captivated and jumping into a novel but when there's so much detail like that I feel like it's more of an obligation and I never get through it! But good luck I'm sure you can finish it:)!

    --Erica

    ReplyDelete