Sunday, September 11, 2011

ToD: 1st reaction

Blog #1
I have heard of Toni Morrison and some works that she has done before in the past, but I never actually read anything she has written. I know that her book Beloved, was turned into a film that my dad always called "Some crazy movie with Halle Berry", of whom I later discovered was Thandie Newton. The movie also stars the wonderful Oprah Winfrey and Danny Glover, along with many others. After reading the summary of the movie, I REALLY want to see this movie, and possibly read the book if I have time, even if it's just for my own pleasure. Kira gave me the book Song of Solomon, and just from reading the first page of the PREFACE... not even the actual story... I fell in love! Her (Toni) wit reminds me of my own, the way she thinks is so similar to my thought process, the very things that she says are what I have said for so long. I am very excited to read this book, and learn more about her. It seems like it will be very interesting, funny, dramatic, relatable, and like any Disney story... come with a morale attached. After reading some stuff on her, I see that we're alike in more ways than I thought. Aside from our race, we both were the second child in our working class family, and took a skillful likeness to writing at a very young age, we both got into Howard University (However, she attended, I'm at St.Rose), we're poets, and we both LOVE to give detailed descriptions when story-telling. I went into this picking only Black Writers because they were never really presented to me as choices during my other schooling. Of course they were there, but they were rarely mentioned. Aside from the insignificant "African- American Authors" section in my high school library that I frequented... there was never much talk in the classroom about Black female authors... except for Gwendolyn Brooks (during the poetry section). I am looking forward to reading Toni Morrison books, and poems, and watching videos. She seems cool. I think me and her will get along pretty well. I'll keep you guys posted (no pun intended) and subscribe!

                                                                                               ~ Dré

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dre, it is so awesome that you have so much in common with Morrison. Who knew? You've done some good research here, and I'm looking forward to reading what you think about _Song of Solomon_. It's a rich and complex text, but I think you'll really enjoy it. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dre! I'm sorry I don't know how to put the accent on your name :( I'm glad that you were able to find an author you could be passionate about. I did an overnight visit to St. Rose last year and I got to attend an African American Women Writers class. I think that you would really enjoy it. I even think that the book they were discussing was "Beloved". I think the movie your Dad mentioned was "Their Eyes Were Watching God". I remember watching Oprah interview Halle Berry about it years ago. I'll be looking forward to learning more about Ms. Morrison from your perspective.
    Rachel Bolton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dre, you seem really interested Toni Morrison. After the discussion about Cinderella in class you seem to know your way around Disney fairytales, and also a very big in the romantic field. I prefer reading novels by authors who are the opposite of me. It gives me of an understanding of something I have never experienced before. Base on the title Beloved it seems to be about a girl had who lost someone whom she loved. But you can never judge a book on its cover. Anyway good luck on your author post, and keep us post on the works by Toni Morrison.
    -Lei Yang

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dre! I really liked the passion behind your post! Authors write what they know best and with that being said I guess readers read what they can relate to a lot of the time. I really like that! So what I gathered from your post is that Toni Morrison is a romantic writer so speak? What does she mainly write.. poems or novels etc. Can't wait to read more. My author is also an African American woman talking about the world around her...check her out Alice Walker!
    Thanks-
    Chelsea Izzo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea thanks for the feedback... actually Lei... Beloved is a very interesting story about a runaway slave that tries to kill her children so she can save them from being taken into slavery but they live but she thought the baby died but she ended up coming back in the end but she was an evil spirit... it's very intricate lol but @chelsea... i don't what i would describe her as lol i would just say that she writes stories... there about everything love, hate, whatever lol n I LOVE ALICE WALKER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dre,
    I think its really great that you found an author that suits you. You'll be able to get a lot out of her writing just because you feel that her wit is similar to yours, and that's awesome! I can't wait until you start posting about what you read! :)

    ReplyDelete